|Date Posted||May 28, 2020|
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ. The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
VACANCY 2020-009: Water Technician, Kampala (up to three positions)
Length of Contract: 6 months (renewable)
The Water Technician (WT) will promote and establish Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) facilities in the Samaritan’s Purse Urban WASH project’s target community. S/He will be responsible for establishing and training Water User Committees (WUC) and training technicians in the target community. S/he will visit the sites, and collect and analyze data to identify community needs to influence planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating the project.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
• Identify existing water points in need of renovation and finalize feasible locations for new water points.
• Facilitate water quality testing.
• Install/rehabilitate water points (including rainwater harvesting structures) and handwashing stations.
• Establish WUCs, providing training and conducting follow-up visits to strengthen their capacity.
• Train volunteers and WUCs on operation and maintenance of water points, handwashing stations, and other WASH facilities.
• Conduct needs assessment(s) to identify households in need of a new/replacement/renovated latrine.
• Identify and train youth and women to promote latrines, handwashing stations, and other WASH facilities.
• Prioritize community engagement and utilize accountability mechanisms to advocate for community.
• Liaise with relevant community groups and organizations.
• Complete regular activity reports, working with the Project Manager to monitor and maintain project progress to ensure goals are achieved on time, evaluating challenges as they arise and proposing solutions.
• Uphold a high standard of quality by ensuring activities adhere to technical and government standards, and are aligned with internal and external strategic objectives.
• Conduct all activities in the most cost-effective and efficient manner, in coordination with team members, other departments and in line with Samaritan’s Purse, government and donor policies and best practices.
• Any other duties as assigned.
• Diploma in Water or Civil Engineering, or related field.
• Minimum three (3) years’ relevant experience, including experience implementing WASH projects.
• Understanding and knowledge of water supply, water storage and water quality testing.
• Demonstrated experience in community engagement and in leading and managing volunteers/teams.
• Proactive, flexible, adaptable and results-oriented; good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and team working skills, with a mature and resilient disposition.
• Willingness to spend extended time in the field.
• Commitment to excellence, integrity and stewardship of resources.
• Must agree with and uphold the values and objectives of the organization.
Job Education: Diploma
Job Experience: 3 years
Please submit cover letter and CV (including references) by email to
or in hard copy to
Samaritan’s Purse Uganda,
Luthuli Avenue, Bugolobi;
Applications should be submitted no later than 09:00 on Monday 8th June, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.