|Date Posted||December 5, 2022|
Education / Teaching
At Aga Khan School we expect all teachers to understand and live by the school mission statement which states, “The Aga Khan Education services will enable many generations to acquire both knowledge and the essential spiritual wisdom to balance that knowledge and enable their lives to attain the highest fulfilment”. To fulfil the mission statement, we expect that all teachers shall create and foster a positive teaching and learning environment in their classrooms or work areas where every child is loved, cared for and respected. The teacher is regarded as a leader within the classroom who develops plans and arrangements for teaching and learning to assist each child to reach their highest potential in all areas of school life. This will not only mean guiding and encouraging children to work cooperatively together but also having the highest level of cooperation with teaching colleagues and the school administration
The fulfilment of the mission statement by all teachers will be through these Major Responsibilities: Class Atmosphere and ethos:
• Adopt a positive approach to all students in the school in respect of capability, behaviour and cultural diversity.
• Maintain the classroom used in a safe, clean and orderly manner, valuing and displaying children’ work, promptly reporting any damage or misuse.
• Check student appearance and lesson attendance. Set a good example by being well-dressed and punctual for school duties.
• Implement consistent guidance, counselling and behaviour policies in accordance with the School policy.
• Adhere to the current timings of the school for lessons, activities and special events. Be present in school at all times during school hours in the first and last week of term, in examination periods, and during free periods.
• Treat pupils’ records (performance) with utmost confidentiality.
Teaching and Learning:
• Be responsible for the effective instruction, training and assessment of students in the subjects assigned. Prepare daily lesson plans and use them.
• Be responsible for the development of a growth mind-set in students to include (critical thinking skills, ethics, creativity, responsibility, respect, problem solving skills).
• To collaborate with other teachers in the school and regional PLC community for purposes of improving teaching and learning and aligning to the 21st century teaching.
• Be responsible for the achievement of exams targets for the subject and the school.
• Set and mark homework following Department/school policy. Check notebooks and use them to design further teaching and to advise students on improvements required.
• By following the syllabus, prepare students thoroughly for good examination success liaising with colleagues on strategies, targets, revision programme etc.
• Set, mark and moderate examinations under the direction of Head of Department. Maximise the use of exam results in learning. Prepare end of term reports within the deadlines set.
• Maintain a record of work where necessary to meet targets.
• Be willingly involved in the wider cultural and sporting life of the school, help in Club and House activities. Promote student leadership and responsibility also.
• Hold informal and formal discussions with parents (teacher-parent conferences) on performance of their children.
• Attend parent meetings at his/her class level, and specialist teachers should attend such meetings.
• Promote a good image of the school within and outside the school environment.
Personal and Professional development:
• Participate in professional development programmes e.g. workshops on modern teaching and learning approaches, computer training etc. Keep up interest in and implement ideas shared during workshops/training.
• Be responsible for the statement of personal learning needs aimed at improving classroom instructions as well as meeting the requirements of the teacher career path at AKES,U.
Qualifications & Experience:
• Bachelors in Education/ B.A. or BSc with PGDE
• Minimum of 5+ years of Teaching experience on the relevant curriculum
• Proven consistency in class work performance
• In-depth knowledge of teaching methods and legal educational procedures.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of contemporary teaching methods.
• Knowledge of a variety of contemporary teaching methodologies.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Knowledge and training of the new curriculum.
• Proficiency in use of Technology.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills