|Date Posted||August 25, 2019|
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are seeking an exceptional and results-oriented mid-career professional to lead One Acre Fund’s Strategy & Research unit, better known as our Internal Consulting Team. The team is responsible for sharpening the organization’s strategy and for supporting other One Acre Fund teams when additional analytical resources could have an outsized impact for the organization. (Click here to better understand the roles and responsibilities of more junior Internal Consulting Team members). In the team lead, we are seeking a leader who blends high-quality team performance management skills, with a proven ability to drive strategic initiatives at the organizational level.
This role provides an opportunity for a senior strategic leader to meaningfully help drive the strategy of a $100M and growing social impact organization. Since its inception at One Acre Fund in 2012, the Internal Consulting Team has emerged as a primary nexus through which many organizational initiatives pass. The team takes on a broad range of projects that would be typical to a management consultancy, including high-level strategy and research, internal change management, flexible resourcing for other One Acre Fund teams, and executive communications. The key difference is in the opportunity to deeply embed within a fast-paced organization, influencing decisions and also implementation, as opposed to stopping at recommendations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead our Internal Consulting Team. This is a 15-person internal consulting unit, consisting of the Director, two managers, five analysts, four junior analysts, and two rotational staff; all of whom conduct strategic, change management, and operational projects on behalf of other One Acre Fund units across our countries of operation.
- Lead all aspects of team development including hiring, staff capacity development, direct management of the middle management layer, budget, and organizational chart
- Lead project identification, selection, assignment, and resourcing
- Set team strategy and vision for the future
- Serve as the primary link between the Internal Consulting Team and One Acre Fund’s leadership group
- Drive key strategic and change management initiatives on behalf of One Acre Fund as a lead consultant and project manager (equivalent of a consulting firm engagement manager). Recent initiatives taken on by the Internal Consulting Team include:
- Strategic planning: 5-year planning exercise – One Acre Fund is in the midst of a 5-year planning exercise in all major program units. The Internal Consulting Team is coordinating this process and providing strategic guidance around expansion, risk mitigation, and key business drivers to country programs.
- New initiative: Set-up of a Direct Giving pilot – Internal Consulting Team members, led by the Director, assisted in the 18-month set-up of One Acre Fund’s Direct Giving pilot, including initial research, project design, and thought partnership with One Acre Fund’s CEO.
- Internal change management: The Director is co-leading a revamp to One Acre Fund’s performance management strategy, including a deeper focus on managerial capacity and training, hiring, and org chart management. This work has involved heavy collaboration with the organization’s People Director.
- Serve as a thought partner and business advisor to key One Acre Fund leaders, including:
- CEO – Serve as the key research desk for the CEO and respond to executive requests for communications support, research on possible initiatives, etc.
- CFO, People Division Director, etc. – Support C-suite executives with decision-making, for example by leveraging the Internal Consulting Team as a resource to assist in budgeting, resourcing decisions, and change management.
- Country Directors – Build relationships with our country leadership to ensure that they receive superior analytical and strategic support from the Internal Consulting Team. Cultivate operational leaders and drive value for them as internal clients.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 8-15+ years of work experience in consulting, strategic, analytical, and entrepreneurial roles. Successful candidates will likely have progressively increasing responsibilities in management consulting, e.g. as an engagement manager or project leader. Prior operational experience in the social impact space is also a plus. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated ability in strategic and consulting contexts, e.g. working with C-suite leaders, change management, or long-term planning
- Proven ability to manage team performance and develop leaders; experience in remote management a plus
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move initiatives forward, as opposed to solely making recommendations or presentations
- Strong data and analytical skills; advanced Excel a plus
- Strong eye for and standards of talent
- Humble and service-oriented approach to consulting work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace in a developing country a plus
- Related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years.
- Language: Fluent English required