|Date Posted||December 4, 2021|
The Government of the Republic of Uganda received a loan from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the (OPEC) Fund for International Development to finance the National Oilseeds Project (NOSP), and now intends to apply part of the proceeds to recruit key staff, to ensure successful implementation of the Project.
Objectives: The overall Project Goal is, inclusive Rural Transformation through Sustainable Development of the Oilseed Sector. The Programme Development objective is to Accelerate Commercialisation as key Oilseeds Value Chains and thereby improve the Livelihoods and Resilience of the Small Holders engaged in Oilseed Production and Marketing. The Ministry of Local Government is, now inviting suitably qualified persons to fill the following vacant posts that exist at the Project Implementation Coordination Team Unit (PICT).
Project Accountant: (1 Post)
Duty Station. Kampala
The Project Accountant in the PCiT reports directly to the Project Coordinator and is responsible for financial management of Component 2 and for maintaining all Project Accounts in good order. As Head of the Finance Unit, the Project Accountant will take charge of all matters in the project accounting cycle, related to component 2. The Project Accounting cycle to be overseen by the financial controller starts from finance-related inputs in AWPB preparation and budget control, committing fund, disbursements and cash flow management in an effective and efficient manner, financial reporting to ensuring smooth audits and facilitation for supervision missions on ali financial management aspects.
The Project Accountant will be responsible for expediting all Loan management and disbursement activities through Gol Systems. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Installation of appropriate accounting / reporting systems to ensure that the PICT and, especially the Project Coordinator are regularly informed of on-going financial status and transactions.
• Ensure timely capture of NOSPS’ component 2 in the GOU BUDGET IFMS as required by the GOU Budgeting processes and calendars to be able to access counterpart funding.
• Communicate to DLGs their financial responsibilities, the funds available and how to access these funds, and the requirements of reporting and record keeping in accordance with prevailing government practices which are acceptable to IFAD.
• Ensure that all project funds are used in accordance with the conditions of financing agreements, with due attention to economy and efficiency and only for the purposes for which the funds were provided;
• Ensure that all necessary supporting documents, records and accounts are kept in respect of all project activities, with clear linkages between the books of accounts and the financial statements presented to the financiers;
• Ensure that designated account and operational accounts are maintained in accordance with the provisions of the financing agreement and in accordance with financiers’ rules and procedures;
• Contribute to the preparation of the Project Implementation and Financial manuals;
• Ensure the project’s Financial Procedures as detailed in the project implementation and Financial Manuals are strictly adhered to by all Project staff and executing agencies at the national and local levels;
• Ensure that the financial statements are prepared in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards as adopted in Uganda;
• Follow-up the districts and other implementing agencies for expenditure justifications.
• Review eligibility of expenditure in accordance with the financing agreement
• Report on the operation of internal control including budget controls and report any deviations
• Prepare project reports to enable the withdraw of funds from financers and manage the overall treasury/cash flow planning aspects of the project.
• Assess compliance with the Uganda laws and regulations governing the operation of the implementing institutions including accountancy and the requirements for audits and financial reporting.
• Review external auditors’ reports (Audit Opinions and Management Letters), and ensure that any qualifications and concerns raised by auditors have been adequately addressed.
• Review reports of FAD/GOU supervision or review missions and follow-up on the implementation of agreed actions.
• Liaise with external auditors to audit the project accounts to meet the required submission dates by both Gou and IFAD;
• Liaise with District Accountants from Project districts to ensure that SOEs are prepared in timely manner and forwarded to Ministry of Finance, Economic Planning and Development;
• Process documentation and follow-up on disbursements from the government and IFAD/OFID to ensure that releases are not delayed. Ensure that funds for project implementation are disbursed in a timely manner to enable project interventions to be carried out in time;
Qualification and Experience: The candidate should have a masters’ degree in Economics, Finance or Accounting and must be Certified Public Accountants and duly registered with the institute of Certified Public Accountant of Uganda (ICPAU).
• At least eight years of relevant work experience, including at least four as a Financial Manager or Accountant in Government/Donor programmes or large institutions.
• Strong managerial skills and demonstrated capacity to manage people and interact with a wide range of private sector partners and government representatives;
• Knowledge of work planning, budgeting and reporting;
• Knowledge of IFMS is an advantage;
• Excellent quantitative and analytical skills;
• Computer literate, including accounting packages and well-versed in the use of Excel, word and basic data base set-ups.
Contract: Two years’ contract, with six months’ probation period, renewable based on agreed performance targets and deliverables.
Hand written Application, accompanied with detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of testimonials, names and address of Three Referees should be submitted to the
Ministry of Local Government,
Worker's House 5th Floor,
P:0. Box 7037, Kampala.
Only shortlisted candidate shall be contacted