|Date Posted||September 8, 2019|
Health Care / Medical
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world's leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
The IRC was registered in Uganda in mid-1998 and implements rehabilitation activities in the sectors of Child and Youth Protection and development, Health, Economic recovery and Development and women protection and empowerment as well as contributing to the response to the Southern Sudanese Refugee situation. IRC Uganda has a head office in Kampala, field offices in Kitgum, Karamoja, and West Nile and south western.
Working under the guidance and supervision of the Nutrition Officer, the Nutrition Nurse will be directly responsible for the day to day management of inpatient therapeutic care (ITC) of severe acute malnutrition (SAM) with medical complication, nutrition counselling and IYCF services to patient admitted at Padibe Health Center, Lamwo District.
- Carry out triage of patients including screening for acute malnutrition with medical complication at the ITC ward
- Ensure general cleanliness of the ward and the attached kitchen to minimize contamination and cross infection
- Provide quality nursing care to children admitted with Severe acute malnutrition with medical complication at the health center
- Provide and monitor 3 hourly nutrition therapeutic feeds (F100 and F75) to children admitted at the ITC
- Monitor children vital signs and conduct daily nutrition and medical assessment of all children admitted with severe acute malnutrition with medical complication
- Prepare nutrition therapeutic feeds in a sanitary environment and ensure all utensil are clean and safe to use
- Implement and evaluate individual treatment plans for patients with health conditions including children with severe acute malnutrition
- Participate in doctor’s ward round and adjust patient care plan as agreed by the clinician or medical officer
- Compile weekly and monthly ITC reports and submit to MOH, IRC and UNHCR respectively
- Work closely with MoH nutritionists and the health facility staff including VHTs in the targeted areas of response
- Ensure that all required observations, prescribed treatment and procedure are properly carried out and documented in the patients’ cards
- Monitor and supervise proper usage of essential drugs, medical supplies and nutrition therapeutic feeds such as F100, F75 and Resomal
- Conduct IYCF counseling and Nutrition health education at the ITC ward
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Diploma in Nursing from a recognized Nursing training institution
- Must be registered and have a valid license from Uganda Midwife and Nursing Council
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a busy hospital
- Experience in management of children with severe acute malnutrition and medical complications desirable
- Team player and cultural sensitivity is required
- Ability to work in hardship areas (previous experience in a settlement/camp setting will be an added advantage)
The role of Nutrition Nurse cannot be limited to the specific duties and tasks detailed herein. The success of the IRC’s humanitarian mission is the highest priority and all issues which arise must be addressed accordingly. Therefore, s/he will be required to manage all unforeseen issues and circumstances and remain flexible to perform any other duties, as and when required.
Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of IRC acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty.