|Date Posted||August 15, 2019|
CAREER OPPORTUNITY The Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA) is a Statutory Body established in accordance with the Electricity Act, 1999, Chapter 145 of the Laws of Uganda. The Act empowers ERA to regulate the Generation, Transmission, Sale, Export, Import and Distribution of Electrical Energy in Uganda.
The Authority seeks to recruit a competent and well-motivated person to fill the vacant position of Network Planning Engineer. The position is contractual, running for an initial Five (5) year period and subject to renewal, upon satisfactory performance.
Job Title: Network Planning Engineer
Supervisor Title: Manager Planning and Investments
Contract Length: 5 years
To develop Power Planning System Models used to inform Network Investment, Power Evacuation Arrangements, Loss Trajectories for purposes of Tariff Setting, Network Operational Stability, Load Flow analysis and optimum network configurations to determine the reliability levels.
1. Prepare Power System Computer Models, perform Power System Simulations and advise Management on the Power System requirements, from Generation, Transmission to Distribution (for
both on-grid and off-grid) and participate in the System Planning and Coordination Committee activities.
2. Determine and monitor the loss trajectories and the associated investments for Transmission and Distribution Licensees.
3. Update System Network Models to reflect changes (current and prospective load growth, reliability, network growth and reconfigurations) in the networks of licensees on quarterly basis.
4. Carry out impact studies of new generation plants and technologies and advise management accordingly.
5. Produce system analysis reports to support the decision making process, regarding optimization of network resources.
6. Review Investment Plan applications and advise Management on the adequacy and appropriateness including Value for Money.
7. Review and advice on grid extension and expansion requirements.
8. Maintain a database on implemented projects/investments in the Sector.
9. Undertake verification of investments in the Distribution and Transmission Segments.
10. Carry out research and make comparative analyses of technologies deployed on the network by licensees, to provide assurance to Management on the appropriateness of implemented solutions in light of technical capability and cost.
11. Participate in the Installation Permit Committee activities.
12. Develop Benchmarks for Transmission and Distribution construction costs.
13. Any other duties as may be reasonably assigned by the Supervisor or Management.
Academic Qualifications and Working experience
1. An Honors University Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electromechanical Engineering.
2. Should have a minimum of five (5) years relevant working experience in the Electricity Sector with practical knowledge in the G eneration, Transmission and Distribution Systems.
3. Must have experience in Power Flow, Dynamic Stability and System M odeling.
4. Must have an understanding of Power System Hardware
(Transformers, Surge arresters, Circuit breakers, Transmission lines, cables and other passive devices), its capabilities & limitations.
5. Should be a registerable Engineer by UIPE/ERB.
6. Should be knowledgeable about the Electricity Supply Industry of Uganda.
7. Should be aged between 28-40 years.
Applications should be delivered preferably by recorded delivery, addressed to:
THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
ELECTRICITY REGULATORY AUTHORITY
PLOT 15, SHIMONI ROAD, NAKASERO
P. O. BOX 10332, KAMPALA – UGANDA
The Deadline for submission of Applications is Friday, 30th August 2019, at 5:00pm. Applicants who do not meet the stipulated minimum requirements need not apply.
N.B: Members of the Electricity Regulatory Authority or Staff of ERA shall not be accepted as referees. Canvassing or any attempt thereof will lead to immediate disqualification. ERA is an equal opportunity employer.