|Date Posted||October 9, 2019|
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi) Trust is supporting agribusiness development in the private sector to achieve the objective of the Government of Uganda's Competitiveness and Investment Climate Strategy (CICS). The Trust is a multi-donor entity jointly founded by the Governments of Denmark and Uganda. The mandate of aBi Trust is to support the private sector actors to increase their contribution to the agricultural sector by increasing land and labour productivity, and market competitiveness thereby contributing to poverty reduction through economic growth, wealth, and employment creation.
The role of the Monitoring & Results Measurement (MRM) Officer is to support the strengthening and implementation of monitoring & evaluation and knowledge management systems to enhance planning, portfolio performance, impact and learning, quality control and accountability at various levels.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
As part of the RMRD team contribute towards the development of funding windows (FWs), project pipelines, and risk management
- Contributing to the design, review and appraisal of FWs and projects by collecting, analyzing and applying lessons learned and evidence in appraisal, development and review of FWs, project plans and risk management strategies
- Contributing to the design of results monitoring and measurement components of projects by incorporating results chains and performance indicators in each project according to DCED standards
- Contributing to the development of the aBi business plan and annual work plans and budgets specifically ensuring that program teams integrate a well-defined theory of change, results chain, and measurement plan in their plans
To lead in the monitoring and evaluation effort of aBi projects, and provide technical advice on how to address identified performance gaps
- Setting up systems and procedures for ongoing monitoring and results measurement in each project, and ensuring compliance with aBi and DCED standards
- Managing the partner monitoring process by ensuring regular monitoring and reviews, compiling and analysing the collected data in order to identify lessons learnt and any gaps in aBi knowledge
- Supporting ICT and program teams to implement the Grant Management System (GMS), and ensuring compliance with aBi and DCED standards
Provide partners and aBi staff technical advice and capacity building to carry out and use monitoring, evaluation, research and learning to improve performance
- Developing and implementing a capacity building plan for staff and partners on M&E and related needs identified
- Delivering capacity building (training, TA, systems) to staff and partners regarding reporting, results measurement, data collection and DCED standards and according to identified needs
- Participating as a member of risk management and compliance teams, and ensuring that risk related to results measurement and performance management is addressed effectively at all levels
- Ensuring accountability by reviewing and assessing the quality of data and results achieved, and compliance with accountability and reporting requirements
- Establishing a resource bank for up- to-date tools, training materials, other capacity building products, and a data base of experts; and ensuring the resources are used to support partners
Generate and disseminate evidence and knowledge to support effective learning, decision-making and external communication
- Supporting the design and implementation of a knowledge management system
- Supporting implementation of baselines, evaluations, reviews and research; participating in preparation of analytical reports and documentation of lessons learnt and best practices; facilitating sharing across the organisation and with partners; and ensuring their utilization
- Developing learning products and disseminating them to staff, partners and other targeted users
To provide administrative support to staff and clients
- Managing schedules, meetings, customer support, audits, external reviews, visits, etc
- Supervising consultants, staff and other clients
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in agribusiness management, agricultural finance, quantitative economics, statistics, development studies or a related field
- Diploma in Monitoring and Evaluation, Program Planning and Management, or other field related to M&E
- Five years of post-graduation M&E experience in designing and implementing grant projects in agribusiness in Uganda
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of grant projects in agricultural finance programs is an added advantage
- 5 years' experience in designing and conducting project baselines, evaluations and research studies
- Demonstrable experience in using grant management information systems (MIS)
- 5 years demonstrable experience in providing capacity building support to partners in delivery of M&E functions
- Demonstrated experience in application of SPSS, STATA, or other statistical software
- Demonstrated experience in report writing (supervised or authored at least 3 evaluation reports in the last 5 years)
Please send your application to
clearly indicating the position title in the email subject line. Applications shouldn’t be more than 4MB.
Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification. Hardcopy applications will not be accepted.