|Date Posted||September 21, 2019|
Health Care / Medical
Makerere University Lung Institute (MLI) is a center of excellence for lung health research at the Makerere University College of Health Sciences. Our mission is to conduct high quality lung health research that integrates disease prevention, clinical care and training in Sub-Saharan Africa. MLI in collaboration with Servicio Madrileño de Salud/Fundación para la Investigación Biomédica Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre and EDCTP are conducting a clinical trial for empirical treatment of cytomegalovirus and tuberculosis among HIV positive infants. MLI now seeks to recruit personnel for the Trial. Reports to: Site Principal Investigator Station: Kampala Engagement: Full time Duration: 1 year with possibility of renewal Position Summary: The Medical Officer will be responsible for participant recruitment, clinical care, data collection and writing reports in regard to patient activities. .
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identifying potential trial participants.
• Ensuring patients give fully informed consent before being enrolled to the trial.
• Offering state of the art medical and surgical care to all trial participants.
• Planning all the necessary patient visits.
• Collection of appropriate specimens (blood, nasopaharyngeal aspirates etc.)
• Accountability for safety across the study.
• Provide medical expertise to the study team during key activities.
• Review study level data according to GCP.
• Play a key role in the interaction with regulatory authorities.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Qualifications and skills
• Bachelors’ degree in Medicine and Surgery from a recognized University.
• Registration with the Medical and Dental Practitioners Council with a valid Annual Practicing License (APL).
• A valid certificate of Good Clinical Practice (GCP).
• Experience in working on drug related clinical trials.
• Experience in the usage of computers / MS Office Packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
• Good interpersonal skills
• Effective Communication; ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate orally
• Flexible and reliable with demonstrated ability to adapt to different clinical/research environments
• Must be diligent, honest and able to work with minimal supervision
• Ability to work well in a team
• Willing to learn new skills to obtain high-quality research data.
• Able to speak and translate between Luganda and English.
• Competitive remuneration.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should email their application letters, CVs with two professional referees; and photocopies of academic qualifications to
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be addressed to:
Makerere University Lung Institute
College of Health Sciences
Upper Mulago Hill Road
P.O. BOX 7749, Kampala, Uganda