|Date Posted||October 2, 2022|
About the job
TechnoServe has been implementing HortiMAP to support market actors to work towards creating a vibrant, sustainable Ugandan horticulture sector since 2020 with financing from the EKN. The project was restricted to 23 districts in the Central, Eastern and South-western region excluding the North which has equally great Horticultural potential. Over 80% of the HortiMAP financing was strategically redirected to support more of productive activities leaving a gap on the market systems development end of the Value Chain.
TechnoServe will implement the NU-Hortimap funded by aBi Investments Ltd to scale the successes gained under Hortimap in Northern Uganda. This program over the 18 Months, will support market actors to work towards creating a vibrant, sustainable Ugandan horticulture sector. The program combines catalytic funding through a Market Development Facility and Technical Assistance fund to leverage private sector and local resources and expertise to strengthen SMEs and local supply chains, while delivering world-class entrepreneurship training to farmers and retailers to realize their potential. These interventions are expected to: a) Train & support 7000 farmers on entrepreneurship, regenerative good agricultural practices (GAP), post-harvest handling (PHH) & reduced loss, financing & use of technologies, nutrition
b) Provide tailored business advisory support and catalytic finance to producer organizations (POs) and farmer-facing micro, small c) Provide technical assistance to 2 public sector actors to disseminate information on market standards, inspect horticulture farms, and develop a domestic digital traceability system and d) Support 4 market-facing MSMEs with tailored business development advisory, investor readiness support, and access to catalytic finance.
Provide management of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) components of the NU HortiMAP program. The M&E Coordinator will work closely with the Program Manager, Associate Agronomy Advisors, MDF specialist, Business Counselors, participants, local stakeholders, and partners to support data collection from activities, clients and partners, and to provide data and analysis for decision making to the program team. S/he will be responsible for enabling evidence-based decision-making processes by country project leadership, maintenance of NU HortiMAP M&E systems, and effective implementation of NU HortiMAP M&E activities.
Title: M&E Coordinator
Program: NU HortiMAP
Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Northern Uganda
Travel: Remote rural locations
Key Roles And Responsibilities
M&E Systems and Processes:
- Responsible for monitoring and evaluating program performance in accordance with the logical framework and reporting requirements;
- Enter data into and analyze information from M&E systems for use throughout project lifecycle;
- Ensure quality control and identify where adaptations might be needed;
- Ensure timely completion of major M&E deliverables, regular periodic analysis of data to identify and communicate lessons-learned
- Review, monitor, and analyze reports for impact evaluation;
- Support Senior Business Advisor in identifying the cause of potential bottlenecks in implementation;
- Support the production of narrative reports;
- Contribute to determining the effectiveness of technical training packages.
- Interface with other country, regional, and HQ staff, as appropriate;
- Share best practices and lessons learned with NU HortiMap project management;
- Work closely with Senior Business Advisor to help ensure that program work plans are on target to meet deliverables in a timely and effective manner;
- Share analyses and trends with project team members to help synchronize decision-making processes with M&E results;
Evaluation of Partners & Sub-contractors:
- Help Program Manager maintain strong working relationships with local M&E partners/ contractors;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of M&E partners and sub-contractors;
- Make recommendations to the Program Manager on the quality of M&E partners’ and sub-contractors’ services.
Required Qualifications, Skills And Experience
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, statistics or international development-related studies required;
- At least 2 years of experience with M&E methods and approaches, including designing, planning, and implementing M&E systems, analyzing and reporting using a logical framework and other strategic planning approaches;
- Proven ability to work with various M&E methods and approaches;
- Ability to identify and measure social indicators is critical;
- Excellent information analysis and report writing.
- Experience working with youth training and/or mentorship programs preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills a must;
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations;
- Proven ability and experience working with teams;
- Fluency in English required;
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information appropriately and helpfully; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent themselves for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works cooperatively and flexibly with other team members with a complete understanding of the role to be played as a team member and leader to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas, and arguments; adjusts terminology, language, and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates an open exchange of ideas and information; use appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Can analyze situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical, and acceptable solution. Can make effective decisions daily, take ownership of decisions, and demonstrate sound judgment in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results-Oriented/High-Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes, and controls activities; identifies, integrates, and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions, and make decisions that impact the overall business performance.
The positions that may be a next career opportunity for employees in this job title include MEL Manager