|Date Posted||September 3, 2019|
Modern Ugandan is an upcoming online consumer magazine that will dissect Ugandan living through stories, features and interviews on different aspects of the Ugandan lifestyle, including culture, politics, business, entertainment, celebrity, identity, diaspora living and more.
The magazine is now looking for highly talented and passionate creatives to join its Editorial team as freelance writers. The ideal candidate is someone that possesses convincing command of written English and prose, coupled with a healthy dose of curiosity about the world around them.
Nature of Job: Freelance,
Reports to: Editor
Number of positions: 5.
• Conceiving and pitching ideas for new stories and features to the Editor on a weekly basis
• Researching and reporting on any assigned subject or story or event in depth, according to the Editor’s guidelines and within the set deadline
• Conducting interviews, whether remotely or in person, with the people that matter to a story
• Attending events or seminars as required for a story
• Writing and editing assigned stories with superb command of language and reporting, according to the house style and within a set deadline.
• Sourcing images/photos for stories in development
• Any additional responsibilities as assigned by the editor
• A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or Creative Writing is preferred but not a must; other degree holders can also apply
• At least 6-12 months of writing experience in any medium preferred; writing samples have to be submitted for review.
• Understanding the concept and basics of magazine journalism
• Ability to travel as work might require
The Skills We’re Looking For
• Outstanding writing skills
• Excellent investigation, research and fact-checking skills
• Good reporting and interviewing ability
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to use common Word Processors such as MS Word etc.
• Ability to work individually and remotely without supervision
Job Education Requirements:
A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or Creative Writing is preferred but not a must; other degree holders can also apply
Job Experience Requirements:
At least 6-12 months of writing experience
If you feel like this would be the ideal job for you, we can’t wait to meet you. Send us your cover letter (in it, tell us about any local and foreign magazines you’ve read), your CV and a few writing samples (or links to platforms where your writing samples are published anywhere on the web) to
email@example.com for review.
Only approved candidates will be contacted.