|Date Posted||August 23, 2019|
University Research Co., LLC (URC) is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
About USAID RHITES-N Project:
With the RHITES-N Acholi Project (Regional Health Integration to Enhance Services in Northern Uganda – Acholi), USAID will continue its support of the Government of Uganda’s (GOU) efforts to improve access to and use of health services in the country’s post-conflict northern region. RHITES-N Acholi Project activities will build on USAID investments and national advances to increase access to and use of high-quality integrated services that accelerate the ability and capacity to respond to the specific health needs of residents in the Acholi sub-region, leveraging the URC-ASSIST project successes.
Job Summary: The Counselor will provide a range of counseling services to clients at the health facility, strengthen provision of Index testing and Assisted Partner Notification (APN) services; identify individuals who know they are HIV-positive but are not in HIV medical care by receiving referrals, utilizing organizational information about missed appointments, and conducting outreach at various community organizations and venues; provide accurate information to clients about living with HIV, preventing further transmission, the benefits and challenges of HIV care and treatment, and available services and how to access them and comply with all program protocols, including those regarding confidentiality of client information. In addition, the Counselor shall develop and maintain effective partnership relationships with community members, Local Council Leaders, Community Linkage Facilitators and Village Health Team (VHT) members while incorporating confidentiality, professionalism, respect, integrity and compassion in all that s/he does.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The roles and responsibilities of the Counselor shall be:
- Support implementation of Index testing and Assisted Partner Notification (APN) at RHITES-N, Acholi supported facilities to improve identification of HIV positive clients and linkage to HIV care
- Provide a full range of counseling services to clients
- Identify clients needs and document pertinent information
- Ensure that all client information is documented and stored in a manner that observes the highest levels of confidentiality.
- As part of the counseling service, assist clients in formulating plans for addressing problem areas
- Refer clients for further counseling to other social support institutions as required.
- Identify individuals who know they are HIV-positive but are not in HIV medical care by receiving referrals, utilizing organizational information about missed appointments, and conducting outreach at various community organizations and venues.
- Work to build the trust and confidence of clients.
- Provide accurate information to clients about living with HIV, preventing further transmission, the benefits and challenges of HIV care and treatment, and available services and how to access them.
- Provide personalized assistance to clients to help them enroll or re-engage in medical care.
- Together with clinical staff, support clients throughout the early part of their care so they participate fully, become educated, and can advocate for themselves.
- Help clients to develop confidence about their participation in HIV treatment.
- Work with clinical staff to assist clients in identifying services to address other aspects of their life that affect their health, such as mental health, substance abuse and domestic violence
- Co-facilitate support groups and ensure client linkage to psycho-social support.
- Participate in conducting CMEs at the facility to strengthen knowledge and skills of existing health workers in Counseling and psycho-social support and provide technical support to Facility and Community Volunteers
- Submit clear and accurate reports on all clients counseled as well as updating all data capture registers/tools related to HIV Testing services.
- Comply with all program protocols, including those regarding confidentiality of client information.
- Participate in all staff and program meetings, site visits with funders, required network events, and mandatory trainings.
- Keep supervisor informed of all problems, challenges and conflicts related to job;
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a degree or Diploma in a health-related field or social sciences
- Completion of a course in counseling with a specialty in counseling services for persons living with HIV/AIDS will be an added advantage
- This position requires a level of initiative and judgment in order to organize and prioritize tasks. We require the following skills:
- Excellent communication skills
- Good counseling skills
- Skills in working with teams
- Knowledge and understanding of HIV/AIDS
- Must have knowledge and understanding of the local language
Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in Uganda for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the URC should upload their updated CVs / résumés and cover letters at the link below. Also, please complete your application form and attach a completed USAID Form 1420 Contractor Employee Biographical Data Sheet as well, download it here.