|Date Posted||August 13, 2022|
Head of Tax
Bring your possibility to life! Define your career with us
With over 100 years of rich history and strongly positioned as a local bank with regional and international expertise, a career with our family offers the opportunity to be part of this exciting growth journey, to reset our future and shape our destiny as a proudly African group.
My Career Development Portal: Wherever you are in your career, we are here for you. Design your future. Discover leading-edge guidance, tools and support to unlock your potential. You are Absa. You are possibility.
To deliver and ensure statutory tax compliance for Absa Bank Uganda Limited with all applicable tax laws.
Provide tax advisory services to the business, where appropriate.
Accountability: Tax Compliance and Risk Management
• Ensuring that all tax returns are prepared accurately and timely and taxes remitted on a monthly basis before the 15th day of each month
• Responsible for monthly computation of corporation tax and provision of commentary on drivers of the Effective Tax Rate
• Ensuring that interim and final corporation tax returns are prepared, filed, and tax installments paid
• Responsible for general tax compliance work in relation to PAYE, WHT, VAT, Excise duty and Stamp duty, and Corporation tax
• Performance of tax reviews in SAP for VAT and WHT for all invoices paid out by the Bank
• Responsible for all reconciliations on all tax accounts and reporting to internal management and external stakeholders on exceptional items
• Annual review of the Group recharges to ensure that all services received are value adding and priced at arm’s length in accordance with the Transfer Pricing Act.
• Preparation of the annual transfer pricing document and compilation of all audit evidence to support billings made to Uganda
• Perform the group’s self- tax assessments and in-depth examinations, to identify areas of tax exposure and non-compliance and implement appropriate measures
• Engaging external auditors, internal audit, the regulator on any issues that pertain to tax matters
• Engage the revenue authority on objections, appeals and dispute resolution; make submissions on behalf of the bank
• Responsible for implementation of appropriate and optimal tax operational procedures
• Managing the Economic Transfer Agreement (intergroup recharge) process
• Annual review of finance policies, standards, and frameworks that have an impact on tax
• Refine the reporting process by constantly adapting systems and procedures to enhance workflow, making it more time efficient.
• Represent the bank on industry tax forums, ensuring that the bank’s views are aired and addressed
Accountability: Tax Planning
• Responsible for development and implementation, of global transfer pricing and international tax planning policies
• Responsible for tax planning advising the bank on the optimum tax structures, corporate re-structures investment policies and employee compensation restructuring.
• Responsible for performing tax due diligence in new product development and providing business functions with relevant tax advice
Accountability: Key Stakeholder Management
• Manage the relationship with external auditors/ tax advisors and Internal Audit.
• Maintain close relations with the, Tax Authorities and other applicable Regulatory Bodies
• Engage Group Head of Tax and ensure alignment with Group Tax Objectives
• Manage Relationship with Functional heads in areas pertaining to tax matters
Accountability: Risk Management control and Compliance
• Understand the appropriate policies & standards applicable to role.
• Understand and manage risks and risk events (incidents) which are faced in the role thereby contributing to the adherence to the Group Risk and Control Framework.
• Ensure that practices and controls required by policies are communicated to all relevant colleagues
• Ensure that independent oversight, on a proactive basis takes place of the risk performance (including related control effectiveness) principal risks.
• Maintaining procedures to monitor compliance with policies and any controls required by them
Accountability: Team Leadership/Management
• Provide leadership, line management & coaching to both the finance team and wider areas of the bank.
• Manage the provision of training and support to other areas of the bank to ensure they have sufficient tax compliance understanding to support the Tax function
• Proactive engage members of the bank’s senior leadership team committed to achieving success and providing support for Colleagues.
• Pursue your own personal development to increase job effectiveness
Bachelors Degree and Professional Qualifications: Taxation (Required)