|Date Posted||May 22, 2020|
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
The Financial Accountant – Stanbic Holdings Limited will ensure the overall integrity and accuracy of the General Ledger as a basis for the preparation of financial and management reports. The incumbent will also be recording entries in the general ledger and preparation of financial reports. The jobholder will undertake all functions associated with recording, reconciliation and payment of both internal and external Vendors. He / She will be tasked with the preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual taxation returns in accordance with the VAT and Income Tax Act. In charge of payment of resultant taxation to Uganda revenue Authority.
Preparation and timely submission of Income and Expenses commentary to management.
Handle all aspects of procurement for the holding company and ensure a robust procurement process is in place.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process all payments for goods and services supplied to Stanbic Holdings limited, ensuring vendors are paid timeously, correct amounts are paid, and accounts are accurately allocated, and proper authority obtained.
- Process all staff claims ensuring the claims are paid timeously, correct amounts are paid, and accounts are accurately allocated, and proper authority obtained.
- Ensure that all payments are recorded, authorised and properly paid in accordance with the Company’s policies and guidelines.
- Provide proof of payment to the clients.
- Manage and monitor the Vendor master record to ensure all vendors are maintained in SAP and avoid any duplication of vendor accounts.
- Monitor the General ledger master data reviewing movements and ensuring that they reflect the correct balances and all relevant account reconciliations are performed including the intercompany accounts and corrective actions taken timeously.
- Preparation of Financial statements for the company
- Performs variance analysis and commentary to management.
- Periodic agreement of inter-company balances with other group companies
- Maintenance of the fixed asset register and reconciliation of the fixed asset registers to the general ledger.
- Preparation of journals for upload onto the system.
- Investigate variances to budget, provide explanations and recommend corrective action.
- Follow up with departments to send in their accruals, compile, reconcile updating and posting accruals.
- Ensure accuracy of financial statements in accordance with IFRS and compliance to internal policies
- Preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual taxation returns in accordance with the VAT and Income Tax Act.
- Making all tax payments when due. (VAT, WHT,PAYE, Corporate Tax)
- Monitoring business operations compliance with the VAT and Income Tax Act.
- Custodian of the company’s permanent tax file.
- Implementing and monitoring compliance with the Group’s Uniform Tax procedures.
- Ensuring tax compliance within Stanbic Holdings limited.
- Prepare and submit NSSF returns monthly and effect NSSF payments.
- Plan, review, co-ordinate and follow up and activities that have been approved.
- Execute the sourcing of goods and services through a supply chain management process that maximizes value, provides excellent customer service and exceeds total cost of ownership targets.
- Relationship management and contract administration.
- Liaison with group company stakeholders in ensuring that regulatory, group policy standards and minimum operating procedures are observed to minimise the holding company exposure to risk
- Conduct risk assessments on the organisation’s business units/department, which will involve identifying, describing and profiling the risks affecting the organisation as well as evaluating the identified risks against the organisation’s risk appetite.
- Implement the strategic risk management vision for SHUL and ensure that risk and compliance management policies and strategies comply with applicable regulations and the strategic imperatives of SHUL.
- Continue to develop and improve risk management tools, practices, and policies enabling the analysis and reporting of risk according to the risk and compliance management framework.
- Develop and foster a coherent risk culture and risk management philosophy that becomes effectively embedded throughout the organisation. Guide the integration of enterprise risk management with other organisational planning and management activities.
- Ensure that SHUL’s risk identification, aggregation, mitigation and monitoring capabilities are commensurate with the size, complexity and risk profile of the organisation.
- Liaise with departmental/unit heads in ensuring completion and monitoring of quality risk registers.
- Oversee and monitor all operational risk management activities of SHUL, reporting major and critical risks issues to the xxxxx.
- Provide support, education and training to staff to build risk awareness within the organisation. Develop and deliver SHUL-wide training on risk and compliance for all staff to complete annually.
- Assist in the development of processes and manage the established processes to identify and evaluate business areas’ risks and risk and control self-assessments.
- Build a culture of risk-awareness in the SHUL by providing ongoing education and appropriate briefing and training.
- Manage the process for elevating/escalating control risks to more senior levels when appropriate.
- Effective management of the corporate risk and control assessment reporting process as well as management and maintenance of the infrastructure elements.
- Ensure risk evaluation, which involves comparing estimated risks with criteria established by the organisation such as costs, legal requirements and environmental factors, and evaluating the organisation’s previous handling of risks.
- Ensure effective implementation of the disaster recovery, business continuity, risk management and access controls frameworks in SHUL.
- Provide recommendations to enhance the Company’s Risk and Compliance Management’s road-map, policy, framework, methodology and system.
- Prepare risk reporting in an appropriate way for different audiences, for example the Board Audit, Finance and Risk Committee.
- Monitor and report on compliance with regulatory requirements including: SHUL Regulations, Procurement Procedures Manual, Human Resources Manual, Finance Manual, supplier contracts and other organisation guidelines and polices.
- Proactively identify emerging risks and report to relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that management and employees comply with the rules and regulations of the organisation, that set policies and procedures are being followed.
- Conduct compliance checks on compliance with policies, rules and regulations, including liaison with internal and external auditors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Stanbic Bank Financial Accountant – Stanbic Holdings Limited job must hold a B.Com (Accounting/Finance) or equivalent Accounting Degree
- Professional Qualification Required. ACCA or CPA will be an added advantage
- 2-4 years banking experience and accounting.
- Understanding of IFRS and Local tax laws
- Knowledge of Uganda Banking regulations.
- Understanding of South African Banking regulations will be an added advantage.
- Good computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word).
- Working knowledge of accounting software. (Knowledge of SAP will be an advantage.)