|Date Posted||November 26, 2021|
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) on behalf of tbe Government of Uganda is executing a 4-year Global Environment Facility/United Nations Environment Programme supported Project on ” Institutional Capacity Strengthening for Implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing in Uganda”. The development goal of the project is to conserve Uganda’s genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge and access and share the benefits arising out of their utilization in an equitable and sustainable way while the project objective is to strengthen institutional capacity for effective implementation of the Nagoya Protocol and conduct effective awareness campaigns on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing (ABS) in Uganda.
The project will have two site offices; one in Karamoja in north eastern Uganda targeting indigenous peoples and Local communities in the Karamoja region while the other will be in South Western Uganda targeting the Batwa community leaving around Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and Mgahinga Gorilla National Parks. The Karamoja field be hosted by Karamoja Women Cultural Group (KWCG) while the United Organization for Batwa Development in Uganda (UOBDU) will host the field office for South Western Uganda.
To ensure effective and efficient delivery of project outputs and outcomes, NEMA is seeking to recruit competent staff stated below for the Project Management Unit (PMU).
NEMA invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions:
Job Ref : NEMA/ADV/EXT/12/2021
Title : Finance and Administrative Assistant
Reports to : Project Manager
Job Purpose: To prepare activity budgets, budget revisions, financial reports and provide administrative support to the project
The Finance and Administrative Assistant is responsible for the financial and administrative management of the project activities and assists in the preparation of quarterly and annual work plans and progress reports for review and monitoring by UNEP. The Finance and Administrative Assistant is responsible for day to day financial management and administrative support to the project. Specifically, the Finance and Administrative Assistant will carry out the tasks outlined below
• Responsible for providing general financial and administrative support to the project;
• Take own initiative and perform daily work in compliance with annual work schedules;
• Assist project management in performing budget cycle: planning, preparation, revisions, and budget execution;
• In consultation with the Project Coordinator (PC) and Project Assistant (Finance and Administration), prepare annual and quarterly work plans and supervise their implementation
• Manage the project budget in accordance with the agreed work plan and ensure that the financial resources are used efficiently and economically to deliver project outputs
• In consultation with the Project Coordinator (PC) and Project Assistant (Finance and
• Administration), prepare annual budget revisions according to UNEP/GEF requirements.
• Monitor utilization of financial resources to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports
• Supervise the Project Finance and Administrative Assistant to ensure timely delivery financial reports as required
• Monitor and update the status of project risks initially identified in the project document and submit any new risks identified to the project board for consideration and decision on possible actions to address the risks
• Document lessons learnt during project implementation as part of knowledge management
• Supervise project field officers and ensure field activities are implemented as planned
• In consultation with the PC liaise with UNEP/GEF task manager during the implementation of the project to ensure effective project management according to GEF and UNEP requirements
• Ensure that all project activities are carried out on schedule to achieve timely realization of project outputs
• Prepare and submit half yearly technical progress reports and project implementation review reports as per the UNEP/GEF requirements.
• At the end of the project, prepare and submit terminal project reports including terminal technical reports and financial reports
• Draft Terms of Reference (TORs) for consultants and participate in the selection and recruitment and supervision of consultant
• Monitor and supervise work of consultants to ensure timely delivery of quality outputs as per approved TORs
• With support from the PC and the project technical steering committee guide on selection of the community-based projects
• Prepare sub-contracting agreements with partners and ensure their effective implementation.
• Monitor and supervise implementation of community-based projects supported by project
• Prepare and submit quarterly and annual financial reports and half yearly and annual technical progress reports as required
• In consultation with the PC convene meetings of the technical and steering committees
• Make all necessary arrangements and preparations for the missions of any consultants and UNEP backstopping officers and PSC members
• Organize Project Steering committee (PSC) meetings and act as a secretary to the
• PSC meetings and produce their minutes on time.
• Promote public relations of the project in the country and globally
• Maintain good communication with project partners and stakeholder
• In collaboration with PC provide training and capacity building in relevant technical areas where appropriate
• Observing agreed project management procedures in order to facilitate project implementation and ensure delivery of high quality outcomes
• Coordinate and participate in M&E activities of the project to appraise project success and make recommendations for consideration by the project technical committee and approval by project steering committee
• Support UNEP and the consultants in conducting midterm evaluation and terminal evaluation exercises.
• In collaboration with PC, organize and facilitate project workshops and prepare workshop reports/proceedings as applicable
• Perform other duties as may be required to enhance implementation of the project. Person specification
• Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: Forestry, Wildlife Management, Environmental Science or Natural Sciences
• Master’s degree in forestry, wildlife management, environmental science is a must
• Any other additional relevant qualifications/training are desirable
• minimum of ten (10) years working experience 111 wildlife / forestry / biodiversity conservation and management in Uganda, of which five (5) years should be in project management
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in administration/management of GEF projects; GEF policies and procedures
• Experience in working with indigenous peoples and local communities on natural resources management
• Experience in selection and management of community-based projects
• Experience in facilitating meetings or discussions;
• Experience working with international partners;
• Experience in managing multi-stakeholder projects
Key competencies/ skills required
• Working knowledge and experience with Government of Uganda Agencies
• Ability to prepare project workplans, administer budgets, staff supervision
• Skills in drafting, writing and editing project reports
• Provide assistance to partner agencies involved in project activities, performing and monitoring financial aspects to ensure compliance with budgeted costs in line with UNEP policies and procedures;
• Monitor project expenditures, ensuring that no expenditure is incurred before it has beenauthorized;
• Assist project team in drafting quarterly and yearly financial project progress reports;
• Ensure that NEMA procurement rules are followed during procurement activities that are carried out by the project and maintain responsibility for the inventory of the project assets;
• Perform preparatory work for mandatory and general budget revisions, annual physical inventory and auditing, and assist external evaluators in fulfilling their mission;
• Prepare all outputs in accordance with NEMA’s administrative and financial office guidance;
• Ensure the project utilizes the available financial resources in an efficient and transparent manner;
• Ensure that all project financial activities are carried out on schedule and within budget to achieve the project outputs;
• Perform all other financial related duties, upon request
• Assist the project manager in Preparation of sub-contracting agreements with partners and ensure their effective implementation and monitoring with regard to finances
• Assist the Project Manager in preparation of the project implementation review by providing financial data
• Train filed staff in bookkeeping, and financial reporting
• Secure co-finance reports from partners and Prepare overall annual project co-finance reports
• Support UNEP and the consultants in conducting midterm evaluation and terminal evaluation exercises by providing financial data, required reports and organizing travel arrangements and consultation meetings.
• Maintain day-to-day management of financial operations of the project in accordance with established rules, regulations and relevant manuals
• Management and monitoring of the project budgets, maintaining all relevant records;
• Effect payments according to NEMA and UNEP/GEF guidelines and procedures
• Maintain project’s disbursement ledger and journal
• Prepare accurate financial reports, including monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports
• Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required
• Maintain the project equipment inventory and submit equipment inventory reports to
• UNEP as per the UNEP/GEF template.
• Ensure project annual audit exercise are conducted and the support the auditing team with all the necessary information and data. Draft TORs of the audit exercise for the Project Manager. Review each annual audit reports to ensure it is in conformity with project finance expenditures before it is signed off. Submit approved annual audit reports to UNEP as per the UNEP/GEF requirements.
• Provide full support to project evaluation, reviews and audit missions
• Maintain project correspondence and lines of communication in accordance with established procedures
• Support the preparation of costed quarterly and annual work plans
• Provide logistical organization for field visits, workshops and meetings
• Maintain a proper filing system and office administration
• Provide assistance to project partner involved in project activities, performing and monitoring financial aspects to ensure compliance with UNEP policie and procedures;
• Monitor project expenditures, ensuring that no expenditure is incurred before it has been authorized
• Assist project team in drafting quarterly and yearly financial project progress reports
• Conduct procurement activities and Ensure that procurement rules are followed for procurement carried out by the project and maintain responsibility for the inventory of the project assets and according to NEMA procedures and UNEP/GEF requirements
• Perform all other financial related duties, upon request
• • Bachelor’s degree in finance, commerce, business administration
• • Finance andlor Accounting Certifications like CPA, ACCA is essential.
• Post graduate training in Finance and Accounting is desirable
• At least a minimum of five (05) years working experience in Finance and Administration of which at least 03 (three) years in management of project finances
• Working experience with donor supported projects
• Experience in accounting processes and procedures, and financial reporting;
• Experience in GEF and UNEP finance and administrative procedures
Key competences and skills
• Skills in maintenance of project’s disbursement ledger and journal;
• Skills in preparation of information on the status of fmancial resources as required;
• Ability to handle a large volume of work under time constraints;
• Ability to anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
• Proficient in software applications (Excel, Ms Word among others).
• Ability to communicate effectively
• Demonstrates / Safeguards Ethics and Integrity
• Acts as a team player and facilitates team work
• Ability to work under the pressure with minimum supervision;
• Good interpersonal skills
• • Excellent verbal and writing communication skills;
The Project Assistant (Finance and Administration) will be based at NEMA Offices in
Kampala with travels to the field as and when necessary.
Remuneration is attractive.
Potential Candidates should submit applications in their own handwriting and deliver them by hand, through post office or by email enclosing copies of CERTIFIED certificates/transcripts and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:
The Executive Director
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) NEMA House, Plot J 71/9121 Jinja Road