|Date Posted||January 14, 2020|
We are looking for enthusiastic, self-driven, organised individual with great interpersonal and communication skills to fill the Finance & Administration Coordinator position in the Out of School Youth (OosY) Bootcamp Program. They shall be responsible for smooth financial and administrative operations of the Bootcamp program, achieving four main objectives: Accounts and Budget Report: Observing and implementing all Educate! Bootcamp accounting systems, payments, book-keeping and statutory filing. Financial and operational reporting. Assisting Program Manager to better manage the program budget through BVA reports, training, and advocating Youth First. Procurement Coordination and Checks: Lead the procurement process, ensuring adherence to procurement best practices through peer review and checks of team submissions, enforcing compliance at all levels while securing value for E! Funds. Field Finance Support: Ensuring staff in the field have adequate training in finance systems and that they are adequately supported with timely payments and accountability systems. Administration Strategy, Resource Coordination and Logistics: In charge of admin budgets to -/+ 5% monthly budget variance. Responsible for goal alignment of administration’s key components: Logistics, Stores and Office Management in support of the implementation of program activities and timelines. In charge of custody and distribution of materials, space organization and allocation. The OosY Bootcamp Program’s focus is to serve the lowest income and most vulnerable segment of out-of-school youth by exploring creating an alternative learning experience to academic secondary. You’ll be joining a motivated, passionate, overachieving team that is positioning Educate! to be the leader in skills-based secondary education in Africa and intensively impact millions of youth each year.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy.
We tackle youth unemployment by reforming what schools teach and how they teach it, so that students in Africa have the skills to start businesses, get jobs and drive development in their communities. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2020, we’re working in 175 secondary schools in Rwanda, 60 pilot schools in Kenya, and over 750 schools in Uganda reaching over 42,000 students intensively and 530,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes nearly 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
- Accounts & Budget Report (35%):
Payments and Supporting Documentation
- Ensure all payments are made in line with Educate! financial policies and procedures
- Ensure all payments are filed with adequate supporting documentation
- Ensure all payments are made in a timely, cost effective and transparent manner
- Ensure all payments are recorded immediately in the cashbooks
- Prepare Budget versus Actual analysis for Bootcamp Program operations.
- Advise Program Manager on budgetary implications of activities
- Support Program Manager and staff in ensuring cost effectiveness in all Bootcamp Program Educate! activities in Uganda
QuickBooks posting and reporting
- Post all transactions promptly into QuickBooks not to exceed the 3rd day of the following month
- Carry out monthly bank and other ledger reconciliations by 2nd day of the following month
- Provide program monthly financials and reports
Tax and other statutory filing
- Ensure full compliance with Revenue Authority tax payments and returns requirements
- Ensure full compliance with all other statutory returns and payments
Payroll and Pay slips
- Prepare accurate monthly payrolls, and ensure timely payments and provision of pay slips to staff
- Maintain an environment of confidentiality regarding payroll and other personnel records
- Field Finance Support (10%):
- Finance Support for staff in the field; Ensure staff in the field have adequate training in finance systems and that they are adequately supported with timely payments and accountability systems.
- Procurement Coordination and Checks (15%):
- With the rest of the team, ensure annual and monthly plans are in place to manage effective procurement per approved budgets
- Prompt program team on requirements for upcoming procurement
- Uphold all procurement policies in each procurement transaction
- Provide advice to the Program Manager on policies that need review or better monitoring
- Advice staff on new or updated policies
- Manage procurement process including quotations and proposals, committees and awarding and contracting
- Manage all vendors to budgetary cost effectiveness, efficient turnaround time and great relationships through which E! is prioritized
- Ensure availability of required inventory at all times
- Ensure accuracy and reconciliation of all inventory records including end of month inventory counts
- Administration Strategy, Resource Coordination and Logistics (40%)
- Manage admin goals in line with the program strategy.
- Conduct regular risk assessment to create or quickly adjust plans due to anticipated problems.
- Put in place checks and balances to exceed program annual goals and work plan activities.
- Anticipate capacity gaps and create innovative solutions.
- Network and research to suggest new possibilities; try new ways of doing things using cutting-edge technology.
- Design admin tracking and information systems for scale.
- Guide management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organization values.
- Manage admin budgets. In consultation with the Program Manager, reallocate funds and choose activities in line with approved budgets and strategy.
- Prepare budget proposals, create detailed budgets for come up projects, review BvA reports
- Enforce security protocol for office equipment & supplies, staff I.Ds, induction training logistics and orientation to safety procedures.
- Inventory, equipment and asset management - ensure availability of inventory at all times
- Lead program-wide filing system in Google Drive, coordinated with segregation by department, controls on access, standard ordering of files.
- Ensure storage and distribution of E! materials is cost effective and timely, as well as compliant to E! procedures and the law.
- Ensure logistics for all program events (including research, prototypes, tests and pilots) are professionally organized, timely, all required materials made available and run smoothly
- BSc degree in Finance, Accounting or Business administration with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records
- Hands-on experience in operating spreadsheets and accounting software (Quickbooks and Excel)
- Experience in planning and logistics
- Systems oriented, high integrity, excellent customer service, general management and strong personality.
- Experience in multitasking in a fast-paced environment, set priorities, work independently as well as thrive in a team.
- Data entry skills along with a knack for numbers
- Proficiency in English and in MS Office as well as Customer service orientation and negotiation skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail plus a Fast Learner with keen attention to detail.
- Great administrator who is passionate about the youth with integrity and trustworthiness coupled with strong interpersonal skills.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Benefits include Medical Insurance.
- Location is Kampala, Uganda.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.