|Date Posted||May 6, 2021|
Located in Masindi District, Budongo area our client’s Sugarcane Farm is at the heart of the watershed for one of nature’s most spectacular marine environments and is proud to play a part in the environment conservation of through sustainable agricultural management at a large scale.
We are currently looking for an Agronomist who will also double as a Sugarcane Farm Manager responsible for independently running and managing an organic sugarcane farming operation on approximately 500 acres of land. Unique duties will include all aspects of the day-to-day running of the farm encompassing, but not limited to: cultivation and agronomy of sugarcane, harvesting, labor management, minor repairs/maintenance, strategic planning, budgeting & record keeping.
The Ideal Candidate:
This position requires a strong, practical knowledge of agricultural skills and farm management. In order to be considered for the role applicants will need to have relevant farm management experience with a solid track record and the ability to work independently as well as manage a farm labor force.
- Your primary role is to ensure that expected production is always met. You will be accountable for the delivery of expected yields from the farms.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Farm staff.
- Crop budgeting and planning, and permanent record keeping Coordination of harvestings and advising the management of daily harvestings.
- Crop rotation planning and hybrid/variety selection recommendations
- Visiting fields to collect seed, plant, and soil samples and testing samples for nutritional deficiencies, diseases, or other changes.
- Prepare and present detailed field reports to the lead supervisor and management
- Ensuring that logistics coordinator observes proper transportation and documentation of produce from the field to the end customer.
- Researching, developing, and promoting farming practices or products that diminish the effects of changes in soil, climate, and weather or prevent damage from pests.
- Insect, weed and disease monitoring / diagnostics
- Assisting with the plant selection process and the development of planting and irrigation schedules, budgets, and timelines.
- Ensuring the produce meets the international buyer requirements.
- Making chemical, fertilizer and seed recommendations.
- Proactively promote and inform sales team on current and potential upcoming agronomic issues that affect growing crops.
- Keep up to date with agronomic practices by attend company sponsored workshops and seminars to gain and maintain agronomic knowledge.
- Diploma/Degree in Horticulture or an equivalent combination of education.
- Have at least 1 years of field experience in agribusiness.
- Sound knowledge of fertilizer and chemical products with fertilization recommendations
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrate PR and interpersonal skills, leadership skills, supervisory skills and strategic planning