|Date Posted||September 8, 2019|
Educate! is setting up a pool of education designers for leadership and consultancy positions in Uganda. As an education designer in Educate! you will create innovative learning solutions to combat poverty. You will engage in co-creating strategies, designing curricula and educational materials for youth and teachers and support other designers in coming up with the most impactful learning experiences.
You might be the perfect fit for this role if you believe that humans are at the centre of the design process. You are keen to understand the learners you are designing for, you can think outside of the box and you are ready to debunk your own assumptions about human behavior and what a good design is. To excel in this role you are able to translate research to strategy and tailor design to the real life experiences of youth and teachers.
To identify high potential designers, we will share a design challenge with selected candidates on a rolling basis and review their submissions by end of March. Early April we are organizing a ‘designathon’ in which shortlisted designers and end-users will meet to solve a real-life challenge together. We hope to fill the leadership positions by May 2019 and will keep a pool of designers on stand-by for upcoming consultancy work.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities. Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2019, we’re working in over 175 secondary schools in Rwanda and over 750 schools in Uganda reaching over 44,000 students intensively and 540,000 more broadly. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012, Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda's entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015, we served as a technical advisor to Rwanda on its secondary education reform.
Educate!’s team includes almost 200 staff and almost 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Bill Gates, an Al Jazeera documentary, Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative.
Educate!'s vision for 2024 is to measurably impact 1 million students and reach 4 million students more broadly across Africa each year.
Possible design projects
The design opportunities in Educate! will include the projects below. Depending on your experience and qualifications a suitable job profile will be proposed.
- Facilitate team interactions to come up with human-centred design strategies
- Engage leadership to ensure country-design is in line with organizational priorities
- Translate internal and external research into design strategies
Design curricula and learning materials
- Support designers in different design processes for youth and teachers
- Design curricula and other learning materials for youth and/or teachers
- Coordinate training of trainers and materials distribution
Experimentation & learning
- Oversee pilot projects
- Develop work plan for prototyping, experiments and pilots (along the product-life cycle)
- Facilitate participatory design processes
Managing design processes
- Develop work plans for ongoing design projects
- Create and monitor budget
- Coach designers to advance their design proficiency
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters in a relevant field preferred
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience
- Experience with human-centred design, user-experience, curriculum design and related processes
- Good understanding of learning theory, curriculum theory and educational change
- Advanced skills set in using Microsoft Office packages especially Word and PowerPoint, photoshop and adobe illustrator are preferred
- East African candidates strongly preferred
- Based in our Kampala office, Uganda.
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 97% of our on the ground staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We Put Youth First - The youth we serve come first. Always. In everything. That means we wake up thinking of ways we can serve youth even better and get the highest impact out of every dollar that we spend. It means Educate! doesn’t own a single vehicle, because we’d rather take the bus if it means one more student can participate. It means making every decision like the future depends on it — because if we get our way, it does.
- We Are Always Learning - When you work at Educate!, educating yourself is part of your job too. We encourage every employee to find the best book on management; share the latest article on graphic design; bring in your favorite college mentor; or meet the researcher pushing the edge of the field. We are always thirsty for knowledge and love to share.
- We Only Solve a Problem Once - We are allergic to band-aids so we love the person who brings the new system to solve the problem for good, even problems we haven’t recognized yet.
- We Are Flexible - We thrive on change — we’re driving it. We are growing every day, so we have to adapt quickly to meet new challenges, and our team keeps up.
- We Exceed Expectations - We assume we can achieve the impossible because we already have, year after year. We want our staff to create your own challenges, ask the toughest questions, and dream scary big!