|Date Posted||September 11, 2019|
Do you want your work to matter? Do you want to use your advocacy skills to make a difference, not just a living? Do you want to improve millions of lives, including your own?
Living Goods works to reinvent how we improve the lives of the under-served. We think big, but operate lean and nimble. We train community health workers to bring life saving products and health services to people’s doorsteps.
We also transform community health through mobile phones. Using the disruptive power of mobile technology, we’ve equipped and deployed 7,500 community health workers across Africa. These community health workers treat common illnesses like pneumonia, diarrhoea, and malaria. They also provide ongoing care to 6 million people at a fraction of the cost of doctors and nurses. In the places we work, Living Goods has reduced child mortality by 27 percent.
The secret to our success is having a winning team. One that enables people to bring their ideas and creativity to work every day. If you work well in a dynamic collaborative culture, set high standards, meet challenges with determination and a have a sense of humour, come work for Living Goods.
The main purpose for this role is to be Living Goods’ face for government and to lead on our efforts to engage the Ministry of Health as a recognized key partner on community health. On top this role will lead advocacy efforts within the country with key stakeholders in the CH space.
On top this role will second the DCD Community Health Partnership in the strategy definition and any other duties when the DCD is unavailable.
Key Duties / Functions
Strategic engagement and technical expertise with Ministry of Health
- Manage strategic relationships with MOH Quality Assurance, Planning, Community Health, Health Promotion, Environmental Health and other relevant departments and Division of Health Information
- Oversee and provide leadership to Living Goods engagement with the Ministry of Health to drive community health agenda, policies and efforts toward high impact community health both at national and local levels.
- Support MOH Seconded Officer(s) to identify LG focal persons to work with MOH on new/ existing areas of work
Act as a high level expert to provide technical assistance to support MOH in:
- Improvement of governance and management of the health sector, with a focus on strengthening community health
- Developing national community health guiding document(s) for community health system
- Monitoring, evaluation, and learning from community health work
- Conducting high level conferences, advocacy meetings
- Strategic planning and decision making
Identify opportunities for LG Uganda to engage Government and act as internal technical adviser to LG staff on integrating and partnering with national government
- Partnership and stakeholder’s management
- Hold regular strategic engagements with key stakeholders, such as UNICEF, USAID, Pathfinder, Intrahealth, etc to ensure partnership led and coordinated approach to community health and position LGU as key partner
- Offer technical guidance to targeted advocacy efforts at national and district level work.
- Oversee operationalization of relationship and manager ownership by LG staff.
- Represent &ensure representation of LG at different forum TWGs at MoH and ensure notes are shared and put in the action follow up tracker
- Support and advise relevant staff to navigate MOH for relevant approvals for new projects, opportunities, engagements
Support and advise relevant staff on relationship management with government
Reporting & documentation
- Ensure LG quarterly report is submitted to MoH and documentation of LG work is disseminated as appropriate
- Connect relevant program managers and technical leads to correct MOH staff for reporting, follow up, and engagement
- Management Senior Management Team Member. Provide updates on our engagement with MoH to SMT.
Support and advise relevant staff to prepare government appropriate reports
- Work with the Deputy Country Director to implement the community health system strengthening strategy for the Community Health Partnerships Department.
- Act as counter/ back up signatory for department approvals.
Manage seconded MOH staff and LG Technical program officer.
- Report writing and representation at district review meetings however this is not possible now but in the future when the capacity of the staffs have been fully developed to manage and effectively handle.
- Internal quarterly project review and coordination meetings of managers, doesn’t have direct person handling except once in while being done by innovation but not effectively done. Field operations handling but more tailored as expansion work group meeting and CHM meeting
- Masters Public Health
- Experience 10 years’ or more managing diverse teams
- Experience working with Governments (national and district level) years working with district local government or under Health System Strengthening program at district level
- Medical Doctor or PHD is an added advantage
- Comfortable with ambiguity, fast paced, supporting teams to grow, advance and deliver results
Other Skills and Competencies
• Communication skills; both interpersonal and oral i.e. be able to projects credibility; structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience; presents information in a well-structured eloquent and logical way.
• Team player; builds team spirit, motivates team, shows respect for the contributions of other team members; shows empathy, consults and shares information/expertise with them.
• Relating and Networking. Easily establishes good relationships with external partners and staff; builds wide and effective networks within LG, within the wider UN system and with external parties; relates well to people at all level
• Ambiguity: A lot of this work evolves and so it’s critical that the person can manage working under ambiguous circumstances
• Drive for Results; Sets high standards for quality of work, by working in a systematic, methodical and orderly way, focusing on the needs and satisfaction of internal and external partners; accepts and tackles demanding goals with enthusiasm
• Leading and Supervising; provides others with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; recruits staff of a high caliber; provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; sets appropriate standards of behaviour
• Initiative; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity and introduces changes into work processes; makes quick, clear decisions
• Reasoning and analysis; uses systems thinking to investigate the complex relationships between seemingly unrelated issues; Steps away from solving the immediate problem to place it into a wider context; Considers the whole system, not just one issue or a localized cluster of issues