|Date Posted||September 21, 2019|
Deputy Director- Academy for Health Innovation and Impact
(Ref: DDX O1)
The mission of the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research, and capacity development. IDI has ﬁve operational areas through which itworks to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratoryservices (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University~John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
The Ugandan Academy for Health innovation and Impact (‘The Academy’) is one of the projects housed within the IDI whose mission is to improve health outcomes through innovations in clinical care, capacity building, systems strengthening and research, which inform policy and practice, with a strong emphasis on HIV and TB. The Academy develops, pilots, evaluates and innovative approaches in health systems in support of the national health agenda.
The Academy Deputy Director will work with the Academy Director to oversee the clinical and scientiﬁc aspects of the Ugandan Academy for Health Innovation and Impact. He/she is responsible for co-ordination of development and evaluation aspects of Academy supported project In addition, he/she will provide support for resource generation for sustainability (of the Academy, for example assisting with funding applications and partnership development.
Major roles and responsibilities
• Work with the IDI departments and other Academy stakeholder to develop a pipeline of innovations leading to collaborative innovative “projects.
• Provide technical support to the strategic development of the Academy including partnership development and development of the Academy value proposition.
• To support project leads to ensure timely project delivery of pilotl development projects and to ensure timely reporting to hinders
• Coordinvate and fully contribute to resource mobilisation including partnership developrnentand networking.
• To work closely with the IDI programmes to ensure the Academy activities are in full support of the IDI strategic plan
• To ensure all cﬁnical and capacity building projects are undertaken as per National Ministry of Health and WHO guidelines and procedures and Ugandan national priorities
• To work across the Academy partners to ﬁnd ways to engage all sectors of the health of technology including young people and people living with HIV and TB in creation / development of innovations for health priorities of Uganda (including development of a new intemship/ young innovators programme for the Academy)
• At least a Master's degree in a medically related, public health, technology or related ﬁeld
• Experience or knowledge with technology projects including mHealth, Artiﬁcial intelligence (Al), Bioinformatios or social innovations would be an advantage
• Training in project planning and management is desirable
• At least 5 years‘ experience of working in project implementation in thchealth care setting. ,
• Experience in managing a multidisciplinary team of staff
• Experience and success in resource generation activities
• Experience managing multi~year and complex budgets
• interest in innovations (low and high tech) and their application to health
• Able to form working relationships with senior, government and private sector organizations and individuals
• Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
• Excellent oral and written presentation skills, with experience presenting at local and international conferences! meetings
• Up to date knowledge on innovations in HlV/ TB and maternal health in LMIC especially sub-Saharan Africa
Job Qualifications: Not Specified
Job Education Requirements: Master's degree
Job Experience Requirements: 5 years
IDI will offer a competitive remuneration package to the successful candidate Candidates who meetthe above criteria should send their CVs, including details of their email address, current position and remuneration, Certiﬁcate/testimonials and contact details of three (3) Referees plus to
Please note that:
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment tee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. indicate the ,Vacancy Code as the subject for your email and make sure that your application letter, CV and certiﬁcates are attached as one document
3. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualiﬁcation.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute — lDl Knowledge Centre, Makerere
University Main Campus
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.0. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda '