|Date Posted||August 28, 2019|
IT / Information Technology
On behalf of the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Bioversity International is now seeking for a qualified candidate to serve as a Data Systems Management Specialist.
Bioversity International and ILRI are CGIAR Research Centres.
For further information on ILRI, consult the website at:
For further information on Bioversity International, consult the website at:
Based in Kampala, Uganda, and under the supervision of the Coordinator of the 'BuildUganda' Program, the Data Systems Management Specialist will design and support data systems for managing and utilising research data for ILRI projects. He or she will work closely with the Animal Health Program funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
More specifically, the Data Systems Management Specialist will:
- Design, implement and maintain integrated data management systems for the Animal Health Program
- Support and contribute to the development and maintenance of ILRI's data portal and associated data management processes (e.g. metadata standards, accessibility, confidentiality, data ownership & sharing)
- Establish and maintain links and processes between systems and teams utilising the data
- Write programs and pieces of software to extract and produce routine summaries of data
- Develop field survey instruments (e.g. handheld Personal Digital Assistants, mobile phones, tablets and/or netbooks) and coordinate training of staff on their use
- Implement and monitor Quality Assurance (QA) protocols and routines, including safe and remote back-up of database systems and tools
- Support the work of technical staff with data management and analysis
- Keep up-to-date with the latest tools and resources, including open-source software, for the collection, management, storage and sharing of information
Qualifications and competencies
Essential qualifications and competencies
- Master's Degree in a relevant subject (e.g. Computer Science, Information Systems)
- At least five years of relevant experience with the development and use of integrated database systems preferably for research projects, including large-scale socioeconomic and/or biological surveys
- Experience with database design, database management and computer programming, and with the application of quality assurance standards and procedures
- Structured Query Language (SQL) knowledge
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle or MS SQL Server databases knowledge
- Professional experience with open-source data collection tools (e.g. ODK or CSPro)
- Significant professional experience developing software solutions using one of the following programming languages: Python, Java or PHP
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft packages
- Ability to think logically and implement solutions to problems
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken
- Proven interpersonal-, and cross-cultural skills, including ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and to develop strong and effective working relationships with partners
- Good judgment and willingness to take initiative
- Ability to work under pressure
- Willingness to travel both regionally and internationally
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Experience working in an international organisation and/or in applied agricultural research
- Experience using Linux operative system
- Knowledge of C++ programming language and Qt framework
- Experience in the development of web-based database systems
Terms and conditions: This is a locally recruited position and all benefits are denominated and paid in Ugandan Shillings. Bioversity's remuneration package includes a competitive salary, leave provisions and medical insurance. The initial contract will be for a period of three years, subject to a probationary period of one year and is renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Please apply online through the Bioversity International Job Opportunities web page ( https://www.bioversityinternational.org/jobs/ ) by clicking on the 'Apply' button, completing the online application and attaching the required information, no later than 27 September 2019.
Please note that in the application you are required to provide the contact details (address, telephone number and e-mail address) of at least three referees, whom we will contact for short-listed applicants.