|Date Posted||December 4, 2021|
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Main Purpose of Job
The jobholder will be will be responsible and accountable for delivering diligent administrative support services to enhance customer satisfaction specifically in Protocol, Procurement, Reception and visitor handling services.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Protocol – 50%
• Support UK-based staff: accreditation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of UK based staff and families to include processing of work permits, dependant’s pass, diplomatic IDs etc. and arranging visas for travel in a timely manner.
• Logistical support: arrange customs clearance and delivery (incoming and outgoing) of personal effects of UK based staff including unaccompanied airfreight and heavy baggage and all other official consignments for Embassy use expeditiously.
• Arrange customs clearance, registration, deregistration, and shipments of the Embassy official vehicles and UK based staff private cars. Assisting with the sale and purchase arrangements for both official and private vehicles.
Procurement – 30%
• Use a Government Purchase Card (GPC) to purchase various good and services for Post for purchases of £1,500 and under.
• Carry out market survey as required by budget holders to update and keep current the Mission agreed supplier list to reduce bureaucracy and delays in procurements.
• Raise requisitions with PRISM and submit to Corporate Services Manager for approvals
• Support budget holders to develop scopes and Terms of Reference for procurement and contracts.
• Schedule and arrange technical review panels as required for tenders and contracts; and support contract manager to file and keep up-to-date contract management files for contracts.
• Carry out store inventory and on spot checks as requested by Corporate Services Manager.
Administrative Support – 20%
• Serve as relief and alternate BHC receptionist, receiving calls and directing visitors. Receiving and sorting mail including diplomatic mail.
• Manage stationery and IT consumables stores. Maintain up-to-date stores records and records of issuances. Notify IT Manager when reorder levels have been reached.
• Arrange hotel and airport pickups for staff and visitors including new UK based arrivals coming to post. Liaise as necessary with airlines and travel management contractor as necessary to make airline reservations for staff and visitors
• Provide administrative support in managing the Kampala Helpdesk.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Minimum 2 minimum of two years’ experience working in an administrative role
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to prioritise a range of workstreams in order to deliver efficiently;
• Ability to work with a range of internal and external stakeholders;
• A willingness to adapt quickly to changing demands; and
• Excellent IT skills.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Previous experience of working in a multinational organisation and/or previous experience of working with Government entities.
Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Other Benefits and Conditions of Employment
The Corporate Services Officer is based at The British High Commission (BHC) Kampala. The BHC is located in a purpose-built compound which offers excellent office accommodation. It is a very friendly team.
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed): Mandatory e-learning course in: Diplomatic Foundation Level module 1; Security Essentials Course; Government Security Classifications; Basic Fire Safety; Health and Safety; General Data Protection Regulation (state 1); Responsible for information (2018); Counter fraud, bribery and corruption; Safeguarding
Optional learning opportunities in a range of Procurement, Protocol and other Administrative areas. A comprehensive on-the-job learning opportunity which will allow the job holder to understand the work of a High Commission more and provide them with a wide range of transferrable skills.
This is a fulltime position and the incumbent will be expected to work 34.5 hrs a week.
• Please complete the application form in full. Failure to do so may result in a determination that you do not meet the requirements for the position
• Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Kampala are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Uganda
• All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit
• Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
• Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted
• Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited
• Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
• Successful candidates not resident in Uganda will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits
• Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted
• The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position