|Date Posted||November 30, 2021|
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
Reporting to the Chief of Party, the Compliance Manager will provide technical support to ensure that the operations of RHITES-E are ethical, in compliance with donors’ regulations, statutory requirements and internal policies and procedures. S/he will ensure the effectiveness of internal controls and improving compliance with agency and donor regulations by developing, initiating, maintaining, and revising policies and procedures to ensure general compliance and to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct. This includes reviewing and monitoring of IntraHealth and partner financial transactions quarterly, and constant monitoring of project contracts and grants. S/he will lead and coordinate systems improvement initiatives and timely corrective actions and oversee implementation of adequate internal control procedures for effective stewardship and management of resources.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk, developing and implementing corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues and providing general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future
- Ensure that all RHITES-E activities are in line with contractual obligations and in agreement with USAID rules and regulations and maintain a compliance dashboard for the RHITES-E Project
- Develop and maintain a central electronic repository for RHITES-E and IntraHealth ‘s compliance and code of conduct for compliance policies and procedures. Maintain records of compliance activities, including any complaints or investigations.
- Analyze high risk and complex issues and provide practical and appropriate advice, including escalating to the appropriate senior levels or forums and recommending methods to proactively manage those risks
- Keep abreast of regulatory developments within and outside of the company as well as evolving best practices in compliance control
- Perform audits, internal control reviews and compliance assessment activities for the RHITES-E Project and sub awardees partners.
- Analyze findings of the internal audits, present these and corrective recommendations to address identified control gaps to the COP and the RHITES-E leadership.
Contracts and grants compliance
- Continually review whether the contracts and grants management activities are in compliance with the key controls contained in IntraHealth’s grant management guidelines and with USAID rules and regulations
- Develop compliance organizational strategies and tools by contributing information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction, establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives.
- Ensure that the organization establishes and maintains an effective, best practices compliance and ethics program, to prevent and detect violations of law and other misconduct, and to promote ethical practices and a commitment to compliance with the law as well as with internal and external policies
- Work with senior management to broaden understanding of strategic and operational compliance measures relevant to the RHITES-E Project.
Planning and organizing
- Plan for implementation and maintenance of compliance activities.
- Prepare long-term plans of compliance including implementing strategies and procedures that prevent illegal, unethical or improper conduct
- Maintain and update draft compliance policies and provide guidance and answer queries thereof
- Disseminate written policies and procedures related to compliance activities
- Develop a standard compliance checklist
- Research and remain abreast of legislative issues, new compliance regulations /major donors’ regulations and audit methodology.
- Support good corporate governance and risk management including but not limited to Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC), Code of Conduct and Conflicts of interest
- Engage with internal and external auditors on relevant risk and compliance matters and mitigation plans
- Assist with the implementation and monitoring of recommendations from Internal and External Audits
- Serve as a confidential point of contact for employees to communicate with management, seek clarification on issues or dilemmas or report irregularities
Reporting and information management
- Produce periodic standard and ad hoc reports
- Prepare management reports regarding compliance operations and progress
- Prepare and submit reports to the RHITES-E COP and the senior management team as well as the Finance and Compliance Departments at Chapel Hill
- Maintain necessary records and files to assure efficient and consistent reporting of compliance efforts across the project
- Maintain documentation of compliance activities, such as complaints received or investigation outcomes
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Accountancy or Business management or related field
- Certified with relevant professional body; CPA, CIA or compliance certification is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years in compliance and risk management establishing and maintaining effective working relationship
- Ability to operate comfortably within a complex cultural, global environment.
- Previous work experience with a USAID supported project will be an added advantage
- Ability to review and analyze financial records, financial reports and statements.
- Ability to think both tactically and strategically
- Ability to multi-task effortlessly and manage competing priorities under demanding deadlines
- Possess sound judgment, flexibility and agility in changing courses and solving problems swiftly.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day
- Innovation-Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
- Accountability – Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence – Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes, and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Client Relationship Management – Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy current client needs and maintain a partnering relationship during engagements; includes influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, Build and manage new relationships and collaborative alliances.
- Strategic Thinking – Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
- Business Acumen – Knowledge, insight, and application of business concepts, tools, and processes that are required for making sound decisions in the context of IntraHealth’s business; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations; including supporting, identifying, assessing, and/or securing new business for the organization.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written) – Understands effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate professional communication behaviors