|Date Posted||December 4, 2021|
The Government of the Republic of Uganda received a loan from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and the (OPEC) Fund for International Development to finance the National Oilseeds Project (NOSP), and now intends to apply part of the proceeds to recruit key staff, to ensure successful implementation of the Project.
Objectives: The overall Project Goal is, inclusive Rural Transformation through Sustainable Development of the Oilseed Sector. The Programme Development objective is to Accelerate Commercialisation as key Oilseeds Value Chains and thereby improve the Livelihoods and Resilience of the Small Holders engaged in Oilseed Production and Marketing. The Ministry of Local Government is, now inviting suitably qualified persons to fill the following vacant posts that exist at the Project Implementation Coordination Team Unit (PICT).
Civil Engineers (5 vacancies),
Duty Station: Regional Hub
Under the direct supervision of the Infrastructure Advisor, the Engineers (to be based in each hub office) will be responsible for overall guidance and management of the community access roads investment-related activities under NOSP in accordance with GOU regulations and approved procedures for supervising and guiding activities of contractors ensuring that due regard is given to the quality and quantity of works to be implemented throughout project operations. Within this overall role, the following tasks will be the specific responsibility of the civil engineers:
• In cooperation with the PICT and PCU (MAAIF) relevant staff, will review and assess proposals from the local Governments (LGS) for Community Access Roads (CAR) works with regard to their technical feasibility and preliminary cost estimation, and agreed selection criteria;
• Assist the LGs to set up and Train Road and market Construction Committees in their roles and responsibilities.
• Assess the appropriateness of proposed structures;
• Develop Terms of Reference (ToRs) for design works for selected access roads and for independent reviewers of design documents;
• Participate in MOLG/DLG bid opening and evaluation committees for evaluation of all bids for design services and construction contracts
• Review and comment on Evaluation Reports provided by the District Contracts Committees for civil works implementation and develop consolidated Bid Evaluation Reports and recommendations for contracts award for IFAD review and noobjection;
• Supervise design works and review detailed design solutions in terms of sound technical solutions, quality and identified scope and volumes of work;
• Participate and contribute in discussions with District Engineers, Design contractors and other interested parties in decision making during design stage and review detailed design solutions in terms of feasibility
• Participate in the development of AWPBs, provide report and information on infrastructure investment operations as necessary to the PICT and PCU M&E specialist and project coordinators and contribute to progress reports.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Honors Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent qualification in Civil Engineering with sound knowledge of contemporary issues in the rural infrastructure of Uganda,
• Duly registered Engineer will be an added advantage.
• A minimum of seven years working experience with projects for infrastructure rehabilitation including design and construction supervision with proven ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and with rural population. Familiarity with Engineering design requirements and construction supervision procedures of Uganda, as well as with the procurement procedures applicable under the legislation of Uganda and foreign donors ‘funded programmes, computer literacy.
• A pragmatic, creative and energetic approach to problem solving and decision making and the capacity to operate effectively with contractors and populations,
Contract: Two years’ contract, with six months’ probation period, renewable based on agreed performance targets and deliverables.
Hand written Application, accompanied with detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of testimonials, names and address of Three Referees should be submitted to the
Ministry of Local Government,
Worker's House 5th Floor,
P:0. Box 7037, Kampala.
Only shortlisted candidate shall be contacted