|Date Posted||September 21, 2019|
About Financial Sector Deepening Uganda (FSDU)
Financial Sector Deepening Uganda (FSDU) is an independent not-for-profit company committed to promoting greater access to and usage of financial services in Uganda. FSD Uganda seeks to develop a more inclusive financial sector with a focus on low-income individuals (particularly women) and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
About this role
Working as a core member of the leadership team alongside the Executive Director (ED), Director of Programs (DoP), the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for all administrative, operational and contractual aspects of the company.
The COO is responsible for ensuring that FSDU’s governance arrangements function smoothly, with appropriate communication between the Board and the Management. The COO is also responsible for establishing and implementing a risk-based company culture.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
KEY RESULT AREAS;
Strategy Development & Execution
As a member of the Management team support the organisation in strategic and operational planning, ensuring that resourcing implications are fully considered:
- Contribute to overall strategy development with a focus on reporting and analytics.
- Oversee the development of both long term and annual resourcing (people and financing) projections in consultation with FSDU’s senior leadership and Pillar Heads, presenting to and gaining agreement of the
FSDU Board and alignment with funder expectations.
- Establish strong organisational systems, processes and frameworks that enhance organisational effeciveness and efficiency and supports tactical execution of the strategy.
- Provide advisory services and act as a sounding board for Pillar Heads, DoP and ED for guidance and support in program and administrative implementation.
- Accountable for the direct management of core enabling functions such as Finance and HR and indirectly through vendor agreements.
Establishing Systems and Processes
1. Governance, and Board Support:
- Ensure that meetings of the FSDU Board and Board sub-committees are properly supported with appropriate and timely information and reports.
- In particular, facilitate the work of two keyboard sub-committees i.e. Audit, Finance and Risk Committee (AFRC) as well as the Human Resources and Compensation Committee (HRCC) including assisting the committee chair with agenda setting, leading the report preparation and implementation of committee recommendations.
- Assist the ED is fulfilling her governance responsibilities.
3. Risk Management:
- Oversee the management of risk across FSDU’s activities; ensuring that a comprehensive understanding of FSDU’s risks has been developed and that mitigation strategies are in place.
- Support relevant outsourced legal and compliance firms in complex and high-risk contract negotiations
- Safeguard FSDU’s financial resources by giving due consideration before signing approvals; while ensuring value for money and ensuring due performance by engaged service providers.
4. Procurement and Administration:
- Monitor compliance of grantees with contract terms and ensure financial obligations are settled promptly and consistent with the contract terms.
- Oversee all procurement and contracting procedures including the development of requests for expressions of interest or proposals, evaluation and issue of contracts, purchase orders and where applicable, partnership agreements.
- Oversee and ensure that all administrative activities are conducted in conformance with policy and best practices.
Finance and Financial Management
- Oversee the annual budgeting process and ensure compliance with the budget.
- Conduct rigorous financial analysis to inform strategy, forecasting and support programmatic decision making.
- Oversee and participate in in the financial due diligence related to fund management.
- Monitor compliance by FSDU with the terms and conditions of MoUs/funding contracts and those with the implementing partners.
- Oversee regular reporting (monthly, quarterly, annual, etc.) to the Board and funders and undertake reviews.
- Facilitate the work of and engagement with external and internal auditors.
- Ensure that FSDU’s financial management complies with national and international financial regulations; and that financial record keeping will support effective auditing and timely reporting to both the funders and the Board.
- Support the ED in taking ownership of all financial reporting to stakeholders.
- Oversee the implementation of and reporting on the value for money (VFM) framework.
Alongside the ED, the COO will be responsible for building a motivated team that is capable of delivering on FSDU’s vision and strategy.
The COO will be responsible for –
- Recruitment and talent management plans in line with FSDU strategy.
- Implementation of effective remuneration, reward and benefits, that motivate staff (subject to necessary approvals).
- Development and implementation of an employee performance management system that supports the achievement of FSDU’s goals and objectives and equitably rewards employees.
- Leading the operations team in a manner that empowers them to deliver excellent support services and maximises value for money on investment from FSDU's resources.
- Providing overall organizational leadership to operation team.
- Managing unit culture and employee engagement.
- Effective direct leadership to reports through coaching, mentoring and management of performance.
- Accountability for the mitigation of all people related risks through appropriate risk management strategies
- Bachelor’s in a related field e.g. Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or Legal
- A professional qualification in accounting, procurement or risk management is desirable
- Minimum ten years of experience in operations, administration, grants management at least five years of which must be in senior level with accountability to a governance board.
- At least three years of work-experience in Africa.
- Strong experience in financial management and procurement
- Demonstrated experience in donor contract management
- Experience in human resources management
- Experience in managing a team
- Excellent communication skills
Desirable (Added Advantage
- Master’s Degree
- First-hand experience of working in/with a market building programme
- Rigorous project management skills
- Understanding and experience of programme management in the financial sector
- Working experience in a multi-cultural environment
- All Applications must be sent to FSDU’s recruiting firm- Future Options Consulting Limited by
email at email@example.com
- Candidates must submit their applications electronically at the above listed email address with
their Cover Letter and Resume. The resume should contain details of 3 references.
- The cover letter should focus on what makes you the best candidate for this role.
- Please insert the job title in the subject line of your email submission.