|Date Posted||May 6, 2021|
Our client is a Utility company under Public Private Partnership (PPP) that was formed by the Government of Uganda (GoU) to develop infrastructures on remote islands with the key aim of attracting investments, boost businesses, and to improve the livelihoods.
As a pioneering mixed utility company they responded to the complexity of the stake holder Island’s needs. They have delivered and now operate two modern roll-on roll-off ferries; which upgraded the island’s 66km Luuku – Mulabana main road; is distributing clean water to 19 villages on the island; and has developed 1.6MW of hybrid solar-diesel power and recently taken over operation of the Kalangala Town Council (KTC) grid.
Currently are looking for a Business and Power Operations Manager who be a core member of the of the Organisation’s senior management team and will report to the Managing Director with a core purpose to Provide leadership, direction and management of the electrical department.
- Provide leadership, direction and management of the electrical department.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the Board and
- Managing Director;
- Advise on short, medium and long-term business strategies for the electrical department;
- Identify business risks and provide analysis to mitigate such risks (and hire, train and retain resources to mitigate such risks);
- Provide leadership in the development for the continuous evaluation of short, medium and long term strategies.
- Provide the Board and Managing Director with recommendations on the implications of business operations and activities.
- Responsible for the implementation of the above-mentioned strategies.
- Establish and develop relations with external partners and stakeholders.
- Drive cost optimization of electrical services by coordinating strategic sourcing of equipment and managing vendor relationships.
- Heads the Electrical Power department.
- Ensure plant operations are efficient, reliable, and cost- effective manner, ensuring optimum plant availability.
- Provide guidance on enhancements to existing grids to optimize performance.
- Provide guidance and recommendations to increase revenue collection and electrical demand stimulation.
- Support in development of Inventory management plan for the Electrical department.
- Managing the efficient operation and maintenance of the electricity transmission and distribution infrastructure, ensuring safe and reliable electricity supply.
- Managing all the personnel in the Electrical power department;
- Provide guidance and support on power contracts and consultants.
- Develop, review, and oversee implementation of Safety
- Operating Procedures and rules.
- Develop, review, and implement Technical Instructions and Specific Procedures for both power plant and grid operations.
- Develop a Customer service for managing and responding to all Electrical customer tickets.
- Develop GIS and analytics skills within KIS to improve data management and reporting
- Ensure department personnel are appropriately skilled and trained to carry out their tasks.
- Develop preventive maintenance schedules for all power plant and grid equipment;
- Develop a clear operation and management plan for plant and grid to improve grid uptime plus reduce number of open tickets.
- Making weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to Management
- Manage the processes for financial forecasting and budgets and overseeing all financial reporting in collaboration with Finance team
This is a full-time senior management role and whilst the normal working week is 40 hours, it is expected that the ideal candidate will be prepared to both work and travel (between Kalangala and Kampala) as required to fulfil the objectives of the business.
- Experience in Energy sector and managing customers.
- Excellent in written and communication skills.
- Work experience in East Africa or another emerging markets.
- +4 years’ work experience in business development.
- +4 years’ work experience in Engineering or technical installations or Project Management.