|Date Posted||August 25, 2019|
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do:
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 80% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 3 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 400,000 square feet of flooring and employed over 100 Rwandese staff (and generated jobs and income for an additional 100 masons).
Job Summary: The Assistant Construction Manager will work with our operation team at one of our District offices. The person is responsible for overseeing the district construction team including masons and supervisors. This role has a wide range of responsibilities including mason management, inventory management, logistics, and auditing of quality. We are looking for someone who is adept at detailed planning, logistics, a quick learner, and a self-starter. He or she will work closely with the District Manager to ensure that we build both the quantity and quality of floors required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Construction Team Leadership
- Supervise the district construction teams
- Prepare detailed, accurate timely construction reports including weekly schedules for masons
- Set ambitious but realistic goals and coach team members towards them
- Mentor and build capacity of junior construction team members
- Manage the recruitment and training of new members of the Construction Team within a region
- Liaises with customer experience team and ensures clients are provided with feedback on a continuous and on-going basis relevant to status of their projects/houses status
- Plan construction work and rigorously document the work accomplished on a daily basis
- Constantly seek efficiency improvements
- Review the construction progress on a daily basis in each district and advice district in setting strategies for construction efficiency and timeliness
- Ensure delays in the construction process and issue resolution are properly recorded and followed up by District teams
- Ensures that all construction projects comply with construction standards
- Initiate field activity assessments to help know the performance of masons and the quality of floor built.
- Assist and support construction teams to ensure deliverable processes on time and within the budget
- Ensure quality control by implementing monitoring systems and evaluations
- Source materials needed for floors, including negotiating the price for buying murram and sand in bulk
- Ensure that materials are available where they are needed and track stock movements
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree with preference to those with a background in construction management, civil engineering, environmental sciences, or logistics.
- Three years of work experience with at least two years of managing several people
- Strong people management skills with the ability to manage contract staff
- Manage complex scheduling and logistics of large numbers of staff and materials
- Ability to work independently
- Fluency in English and Lusoga.
- Strong skills MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Positive attitude, self-starter, entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor and willingness to learn new things
- Commitment to excellence, outstanding work ethic, and attention to detail
- Resourcefulness and creative problem solving
All suitably qualified candidates should apply online at the link below. Please in your cover letter what excites you most about this role, and what you think will be most challenging about it.