|Date Posted||November 29, 2021|
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is a Ugandan not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening.
IDI has received a five-year transition award entitled USAID Local Partner Health Services-TB Activity. The purpose of the Award is to increase TB case detection and treatment success in Uganda to 90% of all cases and thus contribute to substantial reduction of Uganda’s TB burden by 2026. IDI will work through technical assistance to the national TB Program in the three districts of Kampala, Mukono and Wakiso and Regional Referral Hospitals to increase availability, accessibility and utilization of integrated TB/HIV and MDR-TB services.
NB: Current IDI staff and those working with USAID Defeat TB Project that meet the requirements are encouraged to apply.
In order to contribute to achievement of the above objectives, IDI wishes to recruit a motivated and competent individual to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title : Administrative Assistant
Vacancy Code : AAX001
Classification : Full Time
Reporting : Project Administrator
Duty Station : Kampala
The Administrative Assistant performs high level secretarial, administrative, public relations and liaison duties which require frequent contact with staff, executives, the public, government officials, other partners and stakeholders.
Role & Responsibilities
• Perform wide variety of office support functions using independent judgement and applying multiple program policies, procedures and guidelines to assist the Project Director and team
• Coordinate plans for workshops and meetings led by the project team
• Support administrative arrangements for the regional team travel and participation in key stakeholder events and meetings
• Create, review and process documents and record; identify and correct errors and omissions on documents received from staff and partners
• Compile and organize materials for the Project Director’s use in problem resolution as requested by the Project Director
• Follow up the Project Director’s tasks and assignments, track the progress and assist in ensuring that time-bound commitments and/or tasks are completed as scheduled.
• Compose email and paper correspondences for the Project Director on his/her own initiative or from the general instructions
• Establish and maintain a manual and electronic filing/record-keeping system for easy storage and retrieval of documents and correspondences related to the Project Director’s work
• Respond to non-routine inquiries from staff and external parties and explain various program services, policies, procedures and rationale for decisions
• Schedules (and reschedules where necessary) the Project Director’s appointments and/or services and travel arrangements
• Desirable Skills & Qualities
• Knowledge of general office practices and procedures particularly in word processing, filing, composing business documents, gathering and compiling data.
• Knowledge of written communications formats and composition and excellent command of spoken English
• Demonstrable skill in operating office equipment, such as personal computer, calculator, scanner/photocopier and phone system
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
• Knowledge of MS Excel, Word and other common programs
• Ability to communicate with staff and other contacts in courteous and professional manner
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
• Ability to make independent decisions
• Educational Requirements
• A University degree in a relevant discipline.
• At least three-years’ progressive and relevant experience (ideally including Secretarial and
• Administrative work) in a reputable organization.
Candidates that meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in this position should send their CVs, including details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact to the stipulated email address
Please follow this link https://idi.mak.ac.ug/hrms to apply for the position above.
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
2. Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached as one PDF document.
4. Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject line of your email.
5. Please note that if you DO NOT indicate the vacancy code as instructed above, your application will not be considered.
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
7. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre, Makerere University Main Campus
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda